Friday, July 27, 2012

London 2012: The Summer Olympic Games

Okay guys, I'm ready for this! I have my London 2012 coffee mug and my London 2012 key chain, thanks to the amazing Julie Kaye (AKA my sister).  I'm jumping out of my skin waiting for the Opening Ceremonies to start (on TV... I just couldn't stand to watch it streaming live on a tiny lap top screen)!

The Olympics are such an amazing event.  It's not just because of how amazingly dedicated the athletes are, not just because the Opening Ceremonies are always gorgeous displays of the host country's history, and it's not just because there are 23 Aggies (WHOOP!) competing on Olympic Teams! Those are awesome reasons, but the real reason it's amazing is watching competitors and spectators and coaches from all over the world come together in one place.  It's seeing camaraderie amongst peers, amongst collegians from different schools.  It gives me the chills just thinking about how beautiful it is to see them all together.

I've been watching the Olympics with full force ever since I can remember.  Waiting the two years between the Summer and Winter Olympics and counting each day until they return.  I remember sitting in my parent's living room in a pool of afternoon sunlight, staring in awe as the swimmers made waves across the brilliant blue pool. 

These games are not special to me for ONLY those reason though.  This year, my heritage will be highlighted.  As I am a first generation American, I always try to hold on to the cultures my parents have given me.  This year, I get to remember how proud I am to be British and how truly blessed I am to live in the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment