Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Perfect Proposal

On Sunday, I mentioned that tomorrow would be the three year marker from when Ben first proposed to me.  Today, I'm going to tell you how it all went down.

During Ring Dunk on my Fightin' Texas Aggie Ring Day (For those of you who don't know, it's probably the most exciting day in an Aggie's College Career) my friends and I spent the night excitedly yelling (we just dunked our rings, okay?) about the up and coming A&M versus Arkansas game that was to take place at the Cowboy's Stadium on October third.  This game was such a big deal to all of us.  First of all: Come on.  We're Aggies. Do I even have to explain that one?  Second of all: It was the first to take place at the new Cowboy's Stadium in Dallas. 

So you can imagine my surprise when I turned to Ben to ask him whether we were going or not, and he said no.  No?!?! I was furious.  I couldn't believe he would deprive me of my Aggie Experience! We only had four years at this amazing institution! What could be so important that we couldn't go!!! He said it wasn't because the tickets were 50 dollars each for standing room only (Jeez! That seems cheap now).  He said we had plans that weekend, but he wouldn't tell me what the plans were.

Now, if you know me at all, you'll know that I suck at being told that a surprise is happening, but I don't get to know what said surprise is.  I suck at it three months before my birthday comes around, and I tend to spend a lot of time asking questions about my Christmas presents... :/.  So a week before this day rolled around, Ben told me that we were going to be seeing Patrick (his ex-roommate from t.u) that weekend.  Really?!?! I mean, I'm always excited to see Patrick, but really? Seeing a Longhorn on any game day besides the t.u game is pretty much blasphemy in my eyes. Okay maybe not blasphemy, but you get the picture. 

So on October 3, 2009, Ben woke me up at 6 am (seriously), rented a car (deceivingly we drove to the airport first.  Oh, I should say that Ben didn't have a car at this point), and we drove to Austin, TX... in the rain. This was not even the first time we had done something in the rain.  In fact, most of our dates over the past 8 years have occurred in the rain.  So for us, this made things a little more romantic.  I remember he played our song, Since I've Been Loving You (Don't judge! It brought us together) in the car.  When we got to Austin, we spent probably two hours at Patrick's apartment, arguing about politics. And I have to say, I was wondering why the hell we would go all the way to Austin for this... on. Aggie. Game. Day.  But then Ben told me we needed to get ready for an early dinner.

At 5:30 pm, Ben and I headed out for dinner.  We went to the Four Season Trio Restaurant.  I couldn't believe it.  When we got inside and Ben had told the hostess that we had reservations, she asked if we had tickets to the ballet.  My heart literally leaped, and Ben gave me a sheepish grin.  I should also say that I had looked up said ballet online when Ben said we would be seeing Patrick.  What can I say?  I hate not knowing.  We had the most amazing split pea ravioli and then split a rack of lamb and a fillet minion. Um. It was pretty much the best food I had ever eaten up to this point.

After dinner, we headed over to the Long Center for Performing Arts where we were treated to box seats.  And not only that, but we were alone! Out of all six seats, only ours were taken.  At this point, I knew something was happening. The first act of Austin Ballet's performance was the second and fourth acts of Swan Lake. Confused? I think I was.  After the first act ended an usher came into our booth and invited us for Champagne in the VIP lounge.  WHAT! I kept asking Ben who he paid off to get all the special treatment.  But mums the word with him.  I kept expecting something to happen then, but Ben showed no signs of pulling out a ring any time soon.  So, to my disappointment, we went back into the theater for the final act.  It was Stravinsky's Fire Bird Suite, and it was marvelous.

 

After the show, we went out onto the balcony to enjoy the view, and as I stared out onto Austin's beautiful skyline through the rainy night sky, Ben got down on one knee.  When I turned towards him, there he was, holding the ring, telling me how amazing I am and asking me to be his wife. 

I said no.




I'M KIDDING! Of course I said yes.  Port Wine over ice cream and a vase full of red roses (I still have one dried and placed in a skinny vase in my bedroom) finished off the night.  It was perfect.  He had pulled my love of ballet, my love of the city and my love of food... yum... into one amazing night that would lead to 22 months of planning and the perfect wedding!  And now I'm married to my best friend of nearly 8 years, and I'm amazed every day.

 
 
 
 
My Ring Pass Bouquet
One of many engagement pictures taken by Savannah Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment