Friday, September 7, 2012

Football season, SEC country, one excited Aggie. WHOOP!

When I was in highschool, I always thought that getting into a good school meant getting into an Ivy League University, that if I didn't go to Columbia, Yale, Harvard or Stanford, my life was ruined.  I thought that these schools were the only way to have the ultimate college experience and the only way to truly get a good education and a good career. 

So when I set out to apply for college, I only applied to Ivy Leagues...at first.  Then one day, my mom told me that I should apply for some back up schools.  I was reluctant to apply to t.u... that school down the street, and I was reluctant to apply to Texas A&M.  Hey, all I'd heard was that the corps was awesome (I didn't know what the heck the corps was. I just knew that my cousin was in it), and I'd heard all the lame Aggie jokes from peers at school.  But I listened to my mom, like I always should (she's always right), and I applied to Texas A&M, and before I even got in, I knew that it was the school for me.  I was also very interested in going to Baylor University, so I got out my poster board and some pretty markers and made a pros and cons list for each school.  I found myself adding pros to the A&M side and cons to the Baylor side, and when I realized that my pros were things like, "colors are maroon and white", I realized that I was being ridiculous.  I was going to A&M. 

Every single day of my life since then I have silently thanked my mother for telling me to apply for Texas A&M. It is not a backup school, but a school to put first on a list.  It's amazing. I am every single bit of an obsessed, "I Drank the Koolaide", maroon wearing, towel twirling, football attending, midnight yell going, Red Assed Aggie.  I made some of my best friends at A&M. I discovered my love of sports at A&M.  I finally felt like I fit in at this amazing school where traditions never die and are constantly being created.



I'm not really sure why Joey isn't looking at the camera.



Every single time I hear the AAAAs of the crowd and the start of the opening football video, I get tears in my eyes, literally tears. During the fight song and Spirit of Aggieland, I get the chills. I am already plotting for my kids to be future class of 2039, for them to be as in love with their school as I am.  AND I am so excited for the first Aggie Football game of the season and as a member of the Southeastern Conference tomorrow. 

Since my years at Texas A&M are now over, and I can no longer claim to be a senior.  My salute to you includes no A's today and truly begins my reign as an Ol' Ag.  Whoop!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ah I got chills! I was already excited for the game, but your blog post has me now counting down the hours! Whoop!

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete